Monday, October 1, 2012

Where it all started

          My mom and I have been cooking together ever since she trusted me in the kitchen. I was fortunate enough to have family dinners every single night of the week. My mom would always be in the kitchen and searching for new recipes to make for our family. I remember always wanting to cook just like her. I don't think my family has ever ordered a pizza and had it delivered. If we wanted pizza, we made it ourselves. We also never went out to eat, my dad always thought home cooked meals were better than anything that was served in a restaurant.
          I have always loved cooking, especially for my family because they were never too harsh on me. I love putting my own twist on traditional dishes so who ever tastes my food can get a sense of who I am. I love spicy foods and even if I am making roasted potatoes I put a little curry on top just to spice them up. My mom has shelves filled with cookbooks, old recipes, and family recipes just waiting to get used. It's impossible to make everything, but it sure is fun to try. I enjoy cooking meals more than I do desserts. With desserts I feel like you have to follow the recipe specifically or else it will not bake correctly. With cooking meals it is much harder to mess up, and it's easier to experiment with. Now that I am away at college I am still cooking constantly and I still have my mom at the other end of the phone feeding me recipes and giving me new ideas. It's not the same without her in the kitchen. It's more fun to share the experience and thrill of cooking with someone who enjoys it just as much as you do. I always say I should have gone to culinary school, I believe I would have done very well. The food network is my news channel. I love learning about new ways people are using ingredients and discovering new recipes. I am most creative and I use my imagination the most when I am in the kitchen. 

Here is one of our favorite recipes: 

Crab Meltaways
1 Package English Muffins
7 oz Crab
1 Stick of Butter
(one) 6 oz Jar of Old English Sharp Cheddar Spread
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1/8 tsp Lawrys seasoned salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt

Directions
Slice English muffins in half, set aside. Mix all ingredients together and spread over English muffins. Cut into quarter pieces and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Broil for about 5 minutes. Serve Hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment